Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Because I Never Miss an Opportunity to Share

It was at exactly 12:13 a.m. on Friday the fifteenth of August when I realized that for 25 years I had misunderstood the lyrics to "Home on the Range".

Before the aforementioned moment, I always thought it meant this:

"where seldom is heard, a discouraging word"

as in, life on the range is downright discouraging because 'seldom anything happens', 'seldom are people happy here, or 'suicide, seldom have I heard a better idea professed aloud on the range'. I always pictured weathered farmers muttering these types of things to the old horse they were about to shoot between the eyes.

Apparently, it was meant more like this:

"where seldom is heard a discouraging word"

as in life on the range is one void of discouraging words.

Although that is probably because life on the range is probably void of words in general, discouraging or not, which makes it seem like a pretty miserable place. So maybe, I had it right all along?

No comments:

Post a Comment