Saturday, August 8, 2009

72 Hours in Auckland...

...can change a lot.




Our dear, lovely and devastatingly gorgeous expat posse Amberly and Mike are being forced out of the country, despite pouring all their overseas income into New Zealand, the bureaucracy has made up its mind(s) and wants them out (your loss New Zealand *vigorous fist shake*), so Katie and I went up to chill in AKL one last time.

I haven't been very subtle in expressing my disdain for Auckland, often mentioning that it's the worst place in New Zealand. The major things I dislike about Auckland are as follows.

-Architecturally it's a garish mess of poorly designed and ugly multi-colored coated glass buildings (which is wholly understood given the time period these atrocities were constructed, in any case, it feels disjointed and cheap)
-It's too vast, much the way that L.A. is vast, the roads are horrendous but you have no other choice but to use them.
-People that live in Auckland, think that they are the shit because they live in Auckland (just like neo-Brooklynites) I want to slap the shit out of all of them.

That being said I would like to offer my apologies to the city of Auckland and those residents of said city I may have offended. My last 72 hours in Auckland have changed my mind entirely. It's an airy and pretty, walking friendly, culturally diverse city. Things stay open twenty-four hours, people are out and about every night, there is graffiti and hookers and crazies and dealers on the streets. It's big and bright and lovely.

Maybe it's just that warm ethereal feeling I get whenever I am within arms reach of Amberly (the one where I can't stop gushing about life and believing that the world is a good place), or maybe I just got over the arrogance I felt at having moved to a country who's population is less than half of New York City's or maybe, just maybe, Auckland really is a nice place.

*photos gracelessly stolen from Katie and Miss Amberly Jane*

No comments:

Post a Comment