Saturday, May 2, 2009

Fill Empty Space By Making Lists




I have recently come to re-embrace my passion for making lists and I have Katie to thank for that. She makes lists for every conceivable thing that we do/plan to do/can never in a million years do...you get the idea. I used to make them compulsively when I was younger, I made them to separate the people or ideas that I liked from those I didn't, compile the things I wanted to do when I was older or the places I wanted to see, basically, I felt compelled to organize my world into well-ordered, prioritized columns. As I grew older I mostly felt that lists were too superficial because life would never be tidily arranged into singly worded columns, so excluding grocery shopping, I stopped making them altogether. I have now come around again to being pro-list (thanks in part to making a pro and con list highlighting the advantages and disadvantages of list making). In what I hope will become an ongoing series, I present my first list:


Awesome Things About New Zealand You May Have Never Heard About.


1. Toilets- most toilets in NZ come equipped with two buttons, the full and the half flush, that way you can be a more eco-friendly tinkler (also, public loos are clean and numerous)
2. Grown men in short shorts- once you overcome the desire to shriek and cover your eyes in shame it becomes unceasingly hilarious
3. L&P- Soda- “World Famous in New Zealand”
4. Feijoas- a tiny green fruit that came to NZ from either South America or heaven
5. Outrageous Fortune- a soap opera without the romance and boring shit (as well as its incredibly catchy theme song “Gutter Black”)
6. Sheep- so far I have seen day-glo pink sheep at Sheep World and I have seen a sheep drink out of a public toilet, but only after waiting until someone flushed it, because otherwise that's just unsanitary
7. Scrumpy's Cider- with a name like Scrumpy's it has to be good
8. Being Barefoot- shoes are completely and utterly optional
9. Mullets- bad bleach jobs accentuating either the business or party end optional (but avidly encouraged)
10. Cheap Car Insurance- and on top of that it's not legally required
11. Open Container A-Ok- just keep an eye out for the liquor ban signs prohibiting booze in relatively few areas
12. Lack of Dangerous Creatures- no animal will eat/maim you and there is only one spider that can hurt you
13. Flat Whites- the delicious offspring of a cappuccino and a latte
14. Fire Baths- they may not be exclusive to NZ, but they are frickin'amazing
15. The Guy Family- they keep on warmly welcoming us back and we don't understand why

2 comments:

  1. 1. List-making is the shit. My lists are so compulsive and extensive that Mike has to occasionally edit them (apparently "shower" and "eat" are not worthy list items) in order to keep me from going into cardiac arrest.

    2. "there is only one spider that can hurt you"? that sounds fucking terrible.

    3. Miss you

    ReplyDelete