Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Good Friends, Good Food, Good Times




I haven’t much to write about since my life for the past eleven days is picking grapes, drinking copious amounts of alcohol, sleeping, and starting it over again. Tired, delirious, happy and exhausted has been the routine since Easter. However, at the risk of sounding overly sentimental and cheesy, I would like to discuss just how amazing my time at the Waiheke Island Hostel has been. I have been thrown into an absolutely brilliant cast of characters representing more than 10 countries, all from incredibly diverse backgrounds. Despite our innumerable differences we have all gotten along swimmingly. We share everything, stories, games, booze, food, rides, and laughs. We all cook for one another. I have learned to make Crepes, fish cakes and mayonnaise from the French. Sushi and dumplings from the Japanese. The list goes on and on. I have discovered that Spam and cream cheese rolls rock, as does sausage and frozen vegetables. Grape pie is delicious and if you are inclined to throw everything you have in the fridge into a giant casserole it can turn out to taste ok. I must also admit that peanut butter complements tuna. Good food, good booze, good friends, good jokes and bad translations have made every night in this place an absolute pleasure. I have sincerely enjoyed the weeks spent at the Waiheke Island Hostel and I (as well as my stomach) have become smitten with all the people that stayed there with me. Tear. I love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment